The Chatham Players will hold auditions for Neil Simon's Pulitzer Prize-winning play, “Lost in Yonkers” on Sunday, November 10th from 5:00pm – 7:30pm and Monday, November 11th from 7pm – 9:30pm. All auditions will occur at The Chatham Playhouse 23 North Passaic Ave. Production dates are February 7 thru 22, 2020 with rehearsals to begin late November. Wanda Maragni directs.
By America's great comic playwright, this memory play is set in Yonkers in 1942. Bella is a sweet thirty-five years old, developmentally stunted soul, and living at home with her mother, stern Grandma Kurnitz. As the play opens, ne'er-do-well son Eddie deposits his two young sons on the old lady's doorstep. He is financially strapped and taking to the road as a salesman. The boys are left to contend with Grandma, with Bella and her secret romance, and with Louie, her brother, a small-time hoodlum in a strange new world called Yonkers.
Director Maragni seeks four males / three females to fill out her cast. She asks that you are familiar with the play and to be prepared to read from sides, which can be found below on this web page and will be available at the audition.
- Arthur Kurnitz (about 13) Younger brother of Jay. If not for the fact that his mother has died and his father is about to leave him and his brother with their very strict grandmother, Arthur would be a typical 13 year old, inquisitive boy.
- Jay Kurnitz (about 16) Older brother of Arthur. Since his mother’s death, Jay has not only been taking care of himself and his younger brother, but also carries the burden of making sure that his father is ok as well.
- Eddie Kurnitz (40’s) Still mourning the loss of his wife, Eddie must find a way to support his two sons. The only option means having to ask his mother to care for his sons while he takes on a traveling sales position. His mother terrifies him.
- Bella Kurnitz (early 30’s) Emotionally is almost a young, innocent child. Bella lives with and works for her mother in their candy shop below their apartment. Everyone believes that this is all Bella will ever have but Bella dreams of so much more. Bella is Eddie’s sister.
- Grandma Kurwitz (70’s) She is the strongly opinionated matriarch of the Kurnitz family. She is a big woman who walks with a limp and runs her family like her candy store, with great discipline and authority. Grandma Kurwitz needs to speak with a German accent.
- Louie Kurnitz (late 30’s) Brother to Eddie and Bella. Louie is the black sheep of the family who appears to be involved in – well, we’re really not sure what he’s involved in. But whatever it is, it has brought him home to hide out for a few nights before leaving again. His mother definitely disapproves of him.
- Aunt Gert (35) Sister to Eddie, Bella and Louie. Due to unknown reasons, Aunt Gert suffers from a speech affliction. It causes her to say half of a line with the breath going out and then somewhere in the middle, she seems to need to take in more air which causes her to speak in a higher tone.
The Chatham Players have an open call casting policy. ALL roles are open, none are precast, and everyone is encouraged to audition. Any questions, please call Gus Ibranyi at (201)-563-0362 or email email@example.com. For directions or additional information, please visit www.chathamplayers.org