An additional day of auditions for the inaugural season of the CHATHAM COMMUNITY PLAYERS SUMMER YOUTH THEATRE will be held on June 4, 2022, from 10 am to 1 pm, at Chatham Playhouse, 23 Passaic Avenue, Chatham, NJ. Students between the ages of 10 and 22 are invited to audition.
An addition to Chatham Player’s growing educational initiatives, the SUMMER YOUTH THEATRE offers young performers the opportunity to gain performance and inter-personal skills as they work with their peers in workshops, rehearsals, and performance.
The 7-week SUMMER YOUTH THEATRE will culminate with a fully produced musical, THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE, JR., presented on stage at Chatham Playhouse on August 12th and 13th. A cast breakdown is included below.
The SUMMER YOUTH THEATRE will take place from June 27th through August 13th with workshops and rehearsals held on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. (No session on July 4th, added Tuesday night technical rehearsal on August 9th.) Sessions will be held at Chatham Playhouse or a nearby and equally convenient location.
Tuition is $489/student and includes all workshop fees and two complimentary tickets to the final production. Sibling discount available.
Those wishing to audition should email ChathamPlayersEducation@gmail.com and state their preference of a morning or afternoon time slot. An audition time will be assigned and confirmed by return email.
Students between the ages of 10 and 22 should prepare a Broadway style song and bring sheet music in the appropriate key. An accompanist will be provided, but students may also choose to sing to a track. If a track is preferred, students must also bring a device to play it.
- Pirate King - The Pirate King is self-assured and a bit of a ham. The actor should be inventive, fearless and good at physical comedy.
- Samuel - Samuel is a pirate who serves as second in command to the Pirate King. Where the Pirate King is self-assured, assertive, and strong, Samuel is more bookish.
- Frederic - A true matinee idol and leading man, the role of Frederic calls for a strong singer and the looks of a pop star.
- Major-General Stanley - Major-General Stanely is a retired military man. Personality is primary in this part, but solid acting, singing, and dancing skills are a plus.
- Sergeant - The Sergeant of Police should be a good singer and a strong dancer.
- Mabel - Mabel is the female lead and the character in the show who takes the biggest risks. She should possess a strong legitimate soprano voice and a sweet presence.
- Ruth - Ruth is Frederic’s Nurse/Governess, and the role calls for a strong comic presence. She does sing, but the actor doesn't have to be a polished singer.
- Kate, Edith and Isabel - Kate, Edith and Isabel are three of Major General Stanley’s daughters, and they lead the Female Ensemble (see below). All should be strong singers and good dancers.
- Female Ensemble - Major General Stanley’s daughters, they are energetic and quirky. All should be strong singers and have the ability to move well.
- Pirate Chorus - The Pirate Chorus is made up of a band of unique characters who sing and move well.
- Police Chorus - The Police Chorus requires performers who move well and are good at physical comedy.